- 27 Jun 2023
- 3 Minutes to read
Living Railroad Operations
- Updated on 27 Jun 2023
- 3 Minutes to read
Creating a Living Railroad Session
For the Phase 1 release, a TLR session requires a few simple components. These are:
- Industries with Inputs and Outputs to create "supply and demand"
- One or more locos
- Rolling stock compatible with the industries
Obviously having a balanced set of industries will ensure there are always goods required somewhere. It is up to the session creator to set industry queues which will determine which tasks are created.
Remember that the more trains and traincars available, the more likely conflicts will occur where trains are competing for the same track segment. We suggest starting out with a few trains and once you've got things operating well, switch to Surveyor and add more rolling stock to expand your session.
Activating a Living Railroad Session
- Select a session which meets the requirements for Living Railroad.
- As an example, built-in session kuid:661281:110095 03 Dispatchin' the Action - can be used
- From the Windows Menu click on Select Session Options
- Click on **“Living Railroad Dispatch”**and select "Enabled"
- Close the Session Option Window
- Open the Driver List (the icon is found bottom left of the screen)
- The currently selected Driver will be highlighted blue
- To enable a Driver to be used by TLR Dispatch, click on the dropdown list and assign to Automatic Scheduler
- After a short period of time, if the session meets the TLR Dispatch requirements, Dispatch will assign AI commands to complete Freight Operations.
- Click on the View Driver Details Icon will open the Driver Property Window (red circle in below screenshot). This is required to activate the Track Path Display.
Driver Property Window Features:
a.) Train Properties can be accessed from here
b.) Player can reassign the driver
c.) Dispatch Status: Displays current TLR Dispatch Operations and also provides a dropdown list of options including Pause/Resume.
d.) Command status: Displays current AI commands issued
e.) Log of actions performed by Driver.
f.) Mini map of driver location. This can be zoomed in or out using mouse wheel
Enabling Track Path Display
- A Track Path Display can be generated for any Trainz that has a destination set. This includes both User & TLR Dispatch destinations.
- To enable this feature, the driver’s property window needs to be enabled from the Drivers window.
- Open Currently Selected Drivers
- Click on the View Driver Properties
- Driver Properties window can now be minimized or left open
- Note: Closing the window (clicking on the X) will stop the Track Path Display from being shown
Track Path Coloring: (WIP)
- Green: Currently Active Driver
- Blue: Passenger Trains
- Orange: Freight Trains
- Red: Loco only
Managing your Tasks
In the prototype, you can review all the available taks by displaying the Global Activty Log.
To display this list:
- Open any Activty log
- R-click on any log entry
- Select "Show unfiltered activity log
- Click on the Grey filter to remove the debug "spam" entries
Managing your Drivers
Especially in the Phase 1 release, we expect users will encounter a number of issues that prevent smooth AI driving operations.
For example, we know that the AI cannot currently "push" cars into an industry, and if two trains are competing for one junction, a stand-off will occur.
We suggest to operate more smoothly that you use the Pause/Resume function to take over control of the trains as and when required.
- Open the Driver Details window
- Click on the Dispatch Status and click on Pause
- To move the train manually, click on the 3 dots in the bottom right to switch to DCC or Cab mode
- Once you've completed the move, click on Resume and the dispatcher will take over once more.
- Ensure at least one industry has goods required by another, and that there is a supply of those goods available (either loaded into a car or waiting at an industry)
- Ensure industries tracks are correctly set to load/unload various goods
- Ensure industry process queues are set to consume and produce the correct quantity of goods
- To enable a Driver to be used by TLR Dispatch, unassign the Driver from the user.